Killing Southern Lawn Weeds
The first line of defense against weeds taking over your lawn is to make your lawn denser and thicker by feeding regularly during the year. Three to five feedings a year really helps your grass crowd out young weeds before they get a chance to get a toehold. (Note: Centipede Grass should only be fed two or three times a year.) The second defense is to mow your grass at one of the higher settings on your mower.
Here are options for killing weeds in your Southern lawn:
Option 1: If you want to kill weeds while feeding your lawn here are your product options:
- Scotts Bonus S Southern Weed & Feed – use on St. Augustinegrass (including Floratam). Apply to a dry lawn and water after spreading. (Note: This product can also be used on Zoysia and Centipedegrass lawns, however Turf Builder Weed & Feed may be a better option for these lawns depending on the weeds you are trying to kill.)
- Scotts Turf Builder Weed & Feed – use on all Southern Lawns except St. Augustinegrass. Apply to a moist lawn and do not water for 24 hours after spreading.
Option 2: If you want to kill weeds without feeding your lawn here are product options:
- Ortho Nutsedge Killer (this spray kills other weeds beside Nutgrass) – Can be used on any Southern lawn
- Ortho Weed-B-Gon MAX for Southern Lawns – Can be used on any Southern lawn except Floratam (a type of St. Augustinegrass)
- Ortho Weed-B-Gon MAX plus Crabgrass Killer – Can be used only on these southern lawns: Bermudagrass and Zoysia.
- Roundup For Lawns (for Southern Grasses) – Can be used on St. Augustinegrass (including Floratam), Bermudagrass, buffalograss, centipedegrass, seashore paspalum, bahiagrass, zoysiagrass, Kentucky bluegrass, tall fescue, and red or fine leaf fescues.
If you have lawn weed questions contact the Scotts Help Center.